Sunday, January 10, 2010

Topshop Unique

I'm not usually a big fan of stores like Topshop, H&M, or Zara, but the latest Unique collection for Topshop is definitely worth blogging about. Well, sort of. It's supposed to be inspired by 70's surf wear, but I'm not really getting that vibe. I'm detecting more of a neo grunge Cory Kennedy look, which I like very much. Somewhere in between the old Miss Kennedy's style and her new look that reads a little more tomboyish in nature. I think there should be more of a controversy as to whether this collection is the best Topshop could have done, especially after the kind of recent Christopher Kane collection that just went on sale. What has me in knots is the fact that Unique came out with something completely astray from what they claim for it to look like. I see nothing that rings seventies beach babe, only some modern looking designs that are far from fresh. Despite the lacking of freshness, for the most part, that doesn't keep me from admiring different strong points of the few pieces I've seen on the website. I enjoy the idea of having an abstract shark print, but when I imagine it in my mind, it doesn't look like Unique's rendition. I think of a more literal, obvious image of a shark. I also like the idea of a wetsuit dress, but not something that looks like it could be picked up at a local Charlotte Russe. Despite my many complaints about the collection, it's still some of the best lesser priced clothing I've seen on the internet lately. Perhaps I just don't know where to look. Seems as if the popularity of stores like Topshop and such should have spurred a bevy of copycats to pop up and start reaping their own share of the profit that these stores are making annually. As far as I know, this isn't the case, and I can only dream that another cheaper high street store like Urban Outfitters will set up shop locally. I'd like to post an image of the best piece I've seen from the collection (although I haven't yet seen the runway show), but the pictures I found won't allow me to save them. FYI, my favorite is the army green half blazer/half parka with black shark head line drawings scattered all over it and silver pointy studs at the zipper pockets on each side. Delectable! But since I can't show you piece by piece, photos of what the collection looks like, below is the YouTube video that shows what it all looks like set to music. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, fashionably late, the Spring Summer 2010 Topshop Unique collection! I'm sorry if you're left underwhelmed and with a bad taste in your mouth. Compared to the clothes you see in fashion shows by the more expensive designers, there's nothing to by hyped about here. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itr7uFyVKx4

No comments:

Post a Comment